Listen to a message from England Captain, Joe Root
Cricket lovers have enjoyed playing and watching cricket in the beautiful Queen’s Park, Chesterfield, since 1894.
A group of people decided to form a Friends Group to assist in ensuring that cricket is played there in future generations. The Group is now a registered charity (No. 1177204) and operates as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO).
It is important to cricket generally and to the town and district of Chesterfield that the Queens Park cricket facilities are maintained to ensure that both County and Club games can continue to be played there in order that future generations can receive as much pleasure as their predecessors in watching and playing in the park.
The support over the years of Chesterfield Borough Council and Derbyshire County Club has been much appreciated in keeping the Chesterfield Festival of Cricket alive. The council also continues to maintain the ground throughout the year including keeping the square to sufficient standard to enable Chesterfield CC to play their matches and to attract Derbyshire CCC games.
It will be a key objective to influence the Council to maintain its terrific and much appreciated support for the Chesterfield Festival of Cricket.
We will also attempt to influence Derbyshire CCC to continue to play matches at Chesterfield and to maintain the Festival of Cricket. We are confident that the Club will continue with its desire to continue to play matches at Chesterfield and their commitment to that over the years has been very much appreciated.
The future of cricket at the Park and the future of Chesterfield CC are inextricably linked. The ground needs to be adequately maintained in order for the club to continue to play there and its is this regular use that makes it possible for Derbyshire games to take place.
We will be keeping a close watch on these matters, assisting financially where we feel it is necessary and providing an organised ‘voice’ to protect this treasured tradition.
What will the Friends of Queen’s Park do?
- We will be a voice for cricket in Queen’s Park
- We will act as a pressure group to:
- Influence decision makers to continue to provide finance to maintain the cricket facilities to an acceptable level to allow both County and Club games to continue to be played at Queen’s Park
- Encourage Derbyshire County Cricket Club to continue to play matches at Chesterfield and maintain their much appreciated commitment to the Chesterfield Festival of Cricket
- We will raise funds to assist financially when we feel it is necessary to protect/enhance the maintenance of the Park’s cricket facilities
- We will promote and advance the game of cricket in Queens’s Park, and also cricket as part of the heritage of Chesterfield, for the benefit of the public
- We will encourage the participation of young people in cricket at Queen’s Park including, but not exclusively by the establishment of an annual children’s cricket festival.
A list of our Trustees can be here.